Some references in our collection which can help you when writiing a music report or thesis include:
- Writing About Music: A Style Book for Reports and Theses, by D. Irvine. ML3797 .I79 1968 Part 1, Style in the typescript, discusses specific details of typography and documentation, such as footnotes, bibliography, and illustrative material. Part 2 deals with writing skills and literary style in general and as they pertain to the discussion of musical topics.
- Writing About Music: An Introductory Guide, by R. Wingell. ML3797 .W54 1997. Designed as a guide for undergraduate music majors, this brief but helpful book covers the writing of research papers, program notes, concert reports, and other types of writing about music. It provides guidance in the research process and writing effective prose.
Music at OSU
The Valley Library owns:
- Collected works of selected composers
- "Monuments" and other collections of music
- Collection of full and miniature scores
- Reference books in music, such as encyclopedias, dictionaries, bibliographies
- Books and e-books about music and musicians
- Music journals and indexes to aid in their use
- Classical, opera, choral, and jazz music CDs and DVDs
Items previously located in the Music Resource Center in Benton Hall (part of the Music Department) HAVE BEEN MOVED to The Valley Library and are now included in our regular collection.
Most items circulate.