Borrowing Books from OSU
You can borrow books from the OSU LIbraries. We send the books to you via FedEx. All you need to do is send them back to us. Please keep in mind that you are responsiblel for the book once it leaves the building. We cannot ship to a P.O. Box.
Please make sure we have your correct address. If you have moved or changed you name, we need to know.
There are two ways to return OSU library materials:
By US Mail, FedEx, or UPS, send to the library address listed below. You may wish to use a form of delivery that provides a receipt, since you are responsible for the items until the library receives them.
121 The Valley Library
Oregon State University
Corvallis OR 97331
You may also return items in person to the circulation desks of the Valley Library, Guin Library, and Cascades-COCC Library.
Finding Ebooks at OSU
Find electronic books (ebooks) at OSU Libraries in four easy steps.
- Enter your topic in the search box.
- Use the facets on the left-hand side of the page to choose Book/eBook. You may need to go to "more options" under content type.
- Ebooks are marked with an icon (eBook).
- To show only ebooks, click Items with full text online (under Refine your search)
- Click on the title of the book to open the ebook. In some cases, you may need be taken to the record in the catalog. Scroll down to the link that connects you to the resource online.
- COCC ebooks are not available to OSU students.
Most ebooks can be "borrowed" for 1 or 7 days. In some cases, you can download the ebook and read it for the given loan period.
Save this web page
Finding Books: An Overview
OSU Libraries Catalog
The OSU catalog lists all the books held in the OSU Libraries.
The Summit catalog lists books at other regional libraries that can be retrieved for you and delivered within 3-5 business days, free of charge. If the OSU Libraries do not own an item, use Summit.
WorldCat lists books that are available at other libraries in the United States, and sometimes in other countries. If you find a book you want, and it is not listed in the OSU Libraries catalog or the Summit catalog, you can request the book by clicking on the Request from Interlibrary Loan button in the Summit/WorldCat catalog. This service usually takes 2-3 weeks.
Other Options: Google Book Search searches within indexes and texts of books. How much of the book you see depends on the copyright status, and on how much of their copyrighted work that authors and publishers who participate in the program will allow. For many items you can click on "Find this book in a library" to see if OSU owns a copy.This is not a complete catalog, so please check OSU and Summit catalogs, too.
Finding Books using the Library Catalog
OSU Libraries Catalog
The OSU catalog lists all the books held in the OSU Libraries. You can search for books, videos and other library materials.
- To get a books sent to you, search the library catalog
- When you find a book you want, click on the request button
- Fill in the form and choose Extended Campus as your pickup location and submit.
- Shipping time is about 3-5 days
Summit searches Oregon/Washington libraries and libraries throughout the world. Use Summit/Worldcat to locate books the OSU Libraries do not own. Summit requests generally arrive within 3-5 working days.
- Search for the title of the book you want in the OSU Library Catalog
- If the book is not there or our copy is checked out, click on the Try Summit Libraries link at the top of the screen.
- If the book is listed in the Summit catalog, click on the title of the book.
- Click on Request Summit Item to borrow the book. The loan period for Summit items is 6 weeks, no renewal.
- Choose OSU Extended Campus as your delivery option.
If you live in Oregon/Washington, you can use your OSU ID to use another Summit Library. Bring your OSU ID and a picture ID.